[N.B.: to understand my perspective, you may wish to see the “Theological Background/Caveat” I provide here.]
The following public-domain works deal with various topics pertinent to the Christian life in a “Central Churchmanship” expression of traditional Anglophone Protestantism/Anglicanism. I am indebted to the work done by Will, of the excellent Reformed Anglican blog Prydain, who did the hard work of collecting many of these texts. I’ve curated the works he’s collected, as well as a few others, and present them all here.
The Books of Homilies:
On the 39 Articles of Religion:
- A Catechism on the Thirty-Nine Articles by Rev. James Beaven, D.D. (1850)
- Testimonies of the Fathers…as Set Forth in the Thirty-Nine Articles by Rev. Henry Cary, M.A. (1835)
- The Thirty-Nine Articles and the Age of the Reformation by Rev. E. Tyrrell Green, M.A. (1912)
- Sermons on the Thirty-Nine Articles by Rev. T. Waite, D.C.L.
- The Churchman’s Guide in Perilous Times by Rev. Thomas Pigot, A.M.
- A Treatise on Baptism by Rev. Edward Bickersteth (1840)
- The Sacrament of Baptism Considered by Rev. T.H. Kingdon, B.D. (1834)
- The Sacrament of Responsibility by Rev. M.F. Sadler, M.A. (1870)
- The Second Adam and the New Birth by Rev. M.F. Sadler, M.A. (1876)
On Holy Communion:
- On Eucharistic Worship in the English Church by “An English Presbyter” [N. Dimock] (1876)
- The Holy Communion by Darwell Stone, M.A. (1904)
- A Review of the Doctrine of the Eucharist by Daniel Waterland, D.D. (1868)
On the Church:
- Of the Church, in Five Books, by Richard Field, D.D. (1847 reprinting of the work, originally 1606 & 1610)
- The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity, by Richard Hooker (1888 & 1902 reprintings of the work, originally 1594 & 1597)
- An Apology of the Church of England by John Jewel, D.D. (1838 reprinting of the work, originally 1562. Translated from Latin by William Withers Ewbank, B.A.)
Devotional, Meditative, and Homiletic works of Jeremy Taylor:
Suggestions and corrections are appreciated via email: matt AT wmatthewjsimmons DOT info